Let's talk MMO questing.

• Hello, everyone!

Thought we could freshen up the forums a little bit by talking about something related to what we're waiting for.

Do you like questing in MMOs? And why/why not? And if yes then what kind of quests do you prefer doing?

I'm really curious to hear your thoughts about this.

• This is a pretty good topic personally. For me questing in MMOs is one of those aspects that can make or break a game for me. I love it when each quest feels unique (or majority of them), and I also love when they open up more lore for me to discover or look into. A lot of MMOs I've played just have a lot of generic "kill" or "collect" quests and maybe give a few things that may lead into something deeper. Personally, if we get to make quests or questlines in Peria, I wanna make some Skyrim level questing, where it opens up new knowledge to you, isn't repetitive, and rewards you properly for your hard questing.

• Lol yeah pretty much. That's why I'm hoping Peria doesn't really have anything like "levels" but is just one of those MMOs where it's more socially based rather than cap racing. Sort of like "The World R1" from the Dot Hack series. It was primarily for social gathering and fun, enjoying the game with friends and stuff.

• Questing to me needs to be fun with a good story, and not just repetitive kill/collect quests like joJones said. Also the story quests need to not be solo instances like many games that I've played, as too many solo story quests defeats the purpose of playing a MMO. For example, although blade and soul had a lot of group content, a lot of the story quests were solo instances, so despite playing with my friend from level 1, over half the time in our grind to max level, we were playing alone in story instances.

• Quests should always give the feeling of adventure. It should never be just a grinding simulator but also feel like you're making your own story. Usually, we players tend to just party with our friends to make the quest better but the quests should also play a part in this, especially on story oriented ones. The thing about Blade and Soul was that the Story was only about you: The Main Character, and you ALONE. It will be good for this game to be a party-oriented game because the game is also having partners or Kirana in the game. It needs not only quests but also social interaction with not just the players but also with the Kirana. That is what I think a quest in a game like Peria Chronicles should feel like.

• to me personally, quests are a way to get into the story but suppose you finished all of the story quests, that kind of feels like i don't have a purpose to work towards

i don't plan on repeating daily quests aday after day after day and so on... so i will probably spend a lot of time working on my own content including quests

if the game has a fun story line and player quests have some level of replay value (like making a maze with 3 exits that reward you with different stuff, for example 10 gold in 1 exit, 25 in another or 50 in the last one)

i just made this up on the spot but i hope you understand what i mean

though if i really want something that is truely story driven, i'll go find a single player game, in MMOs i'm really more looking for freedom than anything else

• Honestly, for me the Questing meta in MMOs these days is never interesting be it objective-wise or Story-wise.

I think this may sound dumb but while questing is a good way to get into the game lore, it over-glorifies the player and it 99% of the time feels like you're the only one playing and is treated in a very supreme fashion like some sort of a world savior which is funny considering there are tens of thousands of other players getting the exact same treatment in questing. Some people may like this, but I always believed that MMOs are about making my own story/experience in the game without following a specific plotline.

• Honestly, for me the Questing meta in MMOs these days is never interesting be it objective-wise or Story-wise.

I think this may sound dumb but while questing is a good way to get into the game lore, it over-glorifies the player and it 99% of the time feels like you're the only one playing and is treated in a very supreme fashion like some sort of a world savior which is funny considering there are tens of thousands of other players getting the exact same treatment in questing. Some people may like this, but I always believed that MMOs are about making my own story/experience in the game without following a specific plotline.

Yeah I agree with you there. What I meant earlier was that I really like individuality and uniqueness. So if in Peria, you get to make your own quests, I would probably see if I could make my own "personal" questline and do something like that. That does bring up the question though, will we be able to make private quests, or quests that require something of a password to aquire/play. Either way yeah, I definitely agree with creating your own story/experience, but as far as modern MMOs go, the general story quests are the most unique you'll feel unless you make your own story/quests. That's what I'm hoping Peria does.

• Maybe think of it as NPCs with AIs that trigger random quests based on certain conditions.

I really think this is better since players won't have the same experience no matter how you look at it.

I really hope Peria would give me that opportunity to make such AI.

Actually, I was wondering that too. I've been wondering how complex we could make AI, and if it would be possible to make them trigger quests or even have them in cutscenes for quests or something. I thought I read or saw something talking about being able to make scripts for npcs in towns and stuff, but they never went into detail. I too am hoping we get to make complex or quest AIs. As a side note, if we can make NPCs super complex, anyone want to try to make the Ultimate AI with me lol?

• Personally I really dislike quests because I love good story lines that change the game up, which goes more for console games.

When it comes to MMO's I like ones that let me level up with not too much difficulty without the needs of questing, like Mabinogi.

I think Peria will have more freedom, hopefully, when it comes to leveling up.

-

Also, won't there be custom quests you can do? I'm really interested in that!

• I honestly enjoy doing some questing in MMOs. For example, BDO is mainly a PVP game when you really think about it, and them cutting the story cutscenes and quests (and making them instead a side-quest) really sucked for a PVE player like me. I don't like an endless grind and if it's questing for more of the story, I totally dig 'em. If it's just a typical "fetch me this for no reason quest," it kind of bothers me. Quests are a lot better with story and meaning to the quests.

W6OvFhxuZZ9AY.gif

When I look through the lens, I'm entered to a place called home.

• while i do agree that some quests as part of a story are interesting as long as they don't turn into those repetitive quests, eventually the story will end and with a game like peria the player generated quests will be one of the more important parts of endgame content